Sports. When it comes down to it, I am a purist by nature. I am also very blunt and honest. This is where you get to see an old school fan's opinions on the way things are today, in an unashamed, honest format. But hey, I don't like talking to myself so I want your thoughts on all this stuff as well

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

One for the little guy

I promised Id go over the first round of my playoff that I talked about in my previous. Unfortunately, due to some website issues, I do not have the information in front of me so till have to wait until next week.

FOr this first post of 2007, Id like to comment about one of the wildest games I ever witnessed. on New Years night. If you were not near a television between 7:30 PM Monday and about 12 AM Tuesday, then you missed Boise State University in one of the finest (and craziest) offensive displays ever in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl vs Oklahoma. The Broncos, champions of the Western Athletic Conference, came into the game as huge underdogs. But anyone who has had a chance to watch Boise State the last couple years (as I have) knows that they were not going to roll over for the Sooners just because they came from the big bad Big 12 and were one of the winningest programs in college football history. After 2 quick scores (one off an OU fumble), it looked like this game would turn out much like the last time a team from a "non-BCS" conference played in a BCS game (2005 when Urban Meyer, now the head coach at Florida, and the Utah Utes from the Mountain West Conference crushed the Big East's Pittsburgh 35-7). But Oklahoma showed why they are one of the top teams in college football and took a 35-28 lead in the 4th quarter. What happened next came straight out of pickup games in the street or in the park. Facing a 4th and 18 at midfield, Brocos QB Jarad Zabransky hit Drisan James on a 15 yard cross. James then lateraled the ball to Jerard Rabb as they crossed, and Rabb ran the final 35 yards for the game tying touchdown. The schoolyard antics didn't end there. After giving up a touchdown to Oklahoma in overtime. Boise State scored their touchdown on a wide receiver pass, and then used one of the oldest trick plays in football, the "statue of liberty" to score the game winning two point conversion. Boise State proved that they belong in the discussion of the top programs in the country, as well as the fact that the distinction between "BCS" and "non-BCS" schools is really not much of a disticntionm plus they gave many proponents of a playoff system ammunition for further debate. Whether anything comes from that, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home